Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

On January 26, 2003 10:53 am, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Sunday 26 January 2003 00:55, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> > I succeeded in installing Debian but, whereas configuring ppp is a cinch
> > with any other distro, Kppp was nowhere to be found. The was an option
> > for ADSL configuration instead. I tried using wvdial, but wasn't sure the
> > permissions I had so set to get it working as a user wouldn't get me into
> > trouble.
> >
> > So I got back to Slackware because I had some experience with it. Debian
> > developpers efforts were lost for me because some weirdo expert decided
> > it wasn't necessary to provide kppp.
> >
> > I'm sure you couldn't care less and that Debian would do great even if no
> > newbie ever came to use it.
>
> Well, the woody that I got from CheapByte was 8 CDs (the complete Debian
> Wood), and it had Kppp (although I didn't use it much, because I upgraded
> KDE to 3.1). If you didn't install kppp with tasksel, or dselect, or if you
> didn't get the complete CDs, then it's not Debian's problem is it?

Yes, I guess it's my problem. I got the first CD... Then the second. Maybe it
was on the 8th.

This 8 cd set is another exemple of a camel being a dromedary designed by a
committee.

> These flame wars. that debian is too late, has always been around,

Maybe not without reason...

and
> perhaps will always continue. But, debian has got something that no other
> distro has and that's called apt

Yes, and I understand it takes time to configure every apt package perfectly.
But there is a definite lack of focus to get Debian out of the starting
blocks at the same time as other distros. Debian ends up loosing some good
developpers. That's how one man succeeds to put out an installation program
when Debian developpers, like you said in a preceeding message, are still
trying this and that and get no result.

Just as happened in former USSR, Debian developpers might wake up one day to
find out that "ruins is the only thing that remains". Let's hope they prove
me wrong. I'll applaud.

Gilles Pelletier
--
La Masse critique