Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

On January 25, 2003 11:09 am, Colin Marquardt wrote:

> "Inefficiently"? Installation time or non-newbie-friendliness
> matters not the slightest.

If you say so...

> You install it once, then just keep upgrading.

The thing is you must have it installed once. Most people won't have the
patience to play heads or tails on those weird questions. (Even Slackware's
install script is so much more straightforward!)

I succeeded in installing Debian but, whereas configuring ppp is a cinch with
any other distro, Kppp was nowhere to be found. The was an option for ADSL
configuration instead. I tried using wvdial, but wasn't sure the permissions
I had so set to get it working as a user wouldn't get me into trouble.

So I got back to Slackware because I had some experience with it. Debian
developpers efforts were lost for me because some weirdo expert decided it
wasn't necessary to provide kppp.

I'm sure you couldn't care less and that Debian would do great even if no
newbie ever came to use it.

> With RedHat dropping support for the SPARC architecture, Debian
> seems to be about the only choice left for Linux in heterogenous
> networks.  (Even Windows NT started out with supporting several
> architectures. For MS, dropping support was the right thing to do,
> revenue-wise. Does it mean the user was better off? No.)

If I ever got into the pains of buying SPARC based computer, I do believe I
would use Sun software. Most probably Debian developpers will keep
developping SPARC when even Sun will have stopped doing so. Meanwhile, it's
just another excuse for the eternal "it's ready when it's ready".

My opinion is the same as Ben Collins' : there is way too much entropy in the
community. Remember how hard he tried to get Woody out less than a year after
all other distros had their release of the 2.4 kernel out? To him "when it's
ready" was clearly way too late. He never succeeded. The way Debian sees
democracy might end up being costly.

It's completely stupid to say Debian is such much safer when it comes out more
than one year late. Let Red Hat or Suse mature for a year before you use it,
and they'll be as safe as Debian. Once its stable version is out, Debian ends
up having pretty much the same security updates as other distros.

> And I also see nothing wrong with asking newbies "Got an i386? Want
> easy installation? Get Knoppix.

Ask Klaus if Knoppix is meant as an installer for Debian. I tried the 31st of
October version and there were still problems that prevented me to use
Knoppix as my "on-disk" distro. The main problem was with a rather shrunken
mtab. I believe this problem has now been solved with the present version and
I'm looking forward to give it a try again when KDE 3.1 comes out.

Still, since hwdata is there for the taking, I don't understand why Debian
doesn't use it. (Klaus has never been ashamed of taking from Debian and even
Red Hat!) It wouldn't prevent sysadmins from using the Debian's script...
thought I doubt they would. If a real sysadmin should be able to install any
distro even without a script, in the real world, speed is often an issue.

I have no hard feeling against Debian. I know how much its developpers have
contributed to the community but, IMHO, something is going berserk these
days.

Note: I don't intend on pursuing this discussion. I've never succeeded in
having a Debian devotee agree that there is something less than perfect about
Debian. So all this is just IMHO. We'll see how things turn out.

Gilles Pelletier
--
La Masse critique
http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit