[debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

Note: Sorry if this message appears twice: I first sent it with an
address different from the one with which I registered.

GP

--------

The version of knoppix I use dates back to the end of October 2002, but I
believe the situation hasn't change since.

Why does the HD install script ask for 256 MB of swap? Hey, that's more than
10 times the size of my first hard disk : ) and since I work with a 4 GB HD,
I believe that, with 256 MB of RAM, I could put my ROM to better use.

Through trial and error, I discovered the install script wouldn't complain
about a 135 MB swap partition, but I'd still like to cut that in two since
Mozilla has its own disk cache and I never noticed the HD swapping.

Here's my memory usage as I write this message (not a Knoppix system) :

$ free
                total       used       free       shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        255224   210364   44860   0            8672        92236
-/+ buffers/cache:  109456   145768
Swap:        72540     0          72540

As a matter of fact, I even disabled the swap partition for months and never
ran into any problem. A 64 MB swap partition would certainly be more than
enough.

So why ask for a 256 MB swap partition for a HD install? Suppose the user has
512 MB of RAM, what's the use of swap? Couldn't the script calculate memory +
swap and make sure it equals 256 MB?

Also, I usually install the swap partition on /dev/hda1 because it makes the
swap partition faster. Can this cause any problem for the install script to
properly recognize the partitions?

I'm really looking forward to reinstall the Knoppix on my HD when KDE 3.1
comes out. I'm presently writing a VERY basic tutorial on Linux -- what's a
bit versus a byte, basic commands: pwd, mkdir, touch etc. -- and I'll be
using Knoppix for the installation part. I want to keep everything VERY
simple :) I find the first step up the Linux ladder is often missing.

Thanks in advance!

Gilles Pelletier
--
La Masse Critique