Re: [debian-knoppix] Why so much swap with knx-install?

Gilles Pelletier <gilpel@altern.org> writes:

> On January 24, 2003 08:05 pm, Colin Marquardt wrote:
>
>> The world is not i386.
>
> A good part of it is.

You point being?

> So, does this mean i386 will have to wait for the 36 platforms
> supported by Debian to be ready before it benefits from
> auto-installation? If so, I'd rather see Debian supporting one
> platform efficiently than 36 inefficiently.

"Inefficiently"? Installation time or non-newbie-friendliness
matters not the slightest. You install it once, then just keep
upgrading.

With RedHat dropping support for the SPARC architecture, Debian
seems to be about the only choice left for Linux in heterogenous
networks.  (Even Windows NT started out with supporting several
architectures. For MS, dropping support was the right thing to do,
revenue-wise. Does it mean the user was better off? No.)

And I also see nothing wrong with asking newbies "Got an i386? Want
easy installation? Get Knoppix. Else, do it with the Debian
installer." This way, you can win Joe home user over and let network
admins keep the full thing.

Cheers,
  Colin

--