Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

People who don't want to read me, please don't read me :)

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 01:25:25AM +0100, Max Vozeler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:30:02PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 06:42:23PM +0100, Max Vozeler wrote:
> > >   2. The information about flavours used in udeb kernels is not
> > >   available in linux-headers. For normal flavours waldi's build
> >
> > Sure it is, the whole linux-2.6/debian/arch, including config file
> > sipplets and stuff is exported in one of the linux-headers packages,
> > and Bastian is working on Makefile snipplets to automate its easy use
> > in module packages.
>
> Perhaps I don't understand correctly.
>
> The flavours built for linux-2.6 are indeed listed in arch/ of the
> linux-headers-$VERSION packages and these configs are useful and
> working fine. But -di kernels on i386 for example only use the -486
> flavour. Where could I find this information in linux-headers?

Since -di kernels are not merged into the common linux-2.6 kernels (for
whatever reason, we are not arguing that now), it is only normal that you
can't expect them to be in synch like you want wit hthe kernel .debs.

That said, the -di kernels are just repackaged .deb kernels, and so if you
build modules for all .deb official flavours, the same tool who generate the
kernel .udebs can also generate module .udebs from those modules .debs.

(mmm, that was complicated, i hope you get the idea of it).