Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

Hi,

It is pretty obvious (to me, at least) that the need for the official
packaging policy for the out-of-tree kernel modules is long overdue. As mentioned on the wiki page dedicated to it [0], the current situation is a mess. I would like to call for a formal discussion, which will eventually lead to the formulation of such policy. As a first step I propose to just throw the ideas around and figure out what we want the module infra- stracture to be capable of. Then, we can discuss technical aspects of it, and prepare a draft policy.

Below are the things I would like to see implemented in module building infrastructure. Note that I do not maintain any module packages myself, so my opinions and proposals might be naive in some aspects, so feel free to correct.

* Unified way to build the modules. I think module-assistant is the sanest way to implement it in a reasonable time frame.

* Automatic rebuilds (configurable) on kernel updates. Nothing fancy, just a transparent way to figure out whether the currently installed kernel module source is compatible with the new kernel, and attempt rebuild and installation, if neccessary.

* Robustness. Packaged kernel modules *must* build against official kernel headers packages. I am aware of at least one module (lirc), which requires additional header files which we currently do not ship in linux-headers. That's probably broken since such modules are not using the publicly exported kernel API, so it's probably fair to require that they either get fixed or include necessary files in the module source package.

* Flexibility. It should be possible to build against *any* kernel tree or a custom-build linux-headers package, if user so desires, with minimum hassle. The wiki page [0] has a great deal to say about it, everything mentioned there on the topic seems sane to me.

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModulesPackaging

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org