Re: Modules packaging policy - call for discussion

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 06:42:23PM +0100, Max Vozeler wrote:
>   1. The version of linux-headers in unstable is sometimes ahead of
>   the udeb kernel-image packages, like right now (2.6.15/2.6.16). I
>   don't remember exactly when this last happened, but for example
>   once linux-headers-2.6.15-* get removed from unstable, there will
>   be no way to build updated module udebs for the kernel used by
>   the installer. Or am I missing something -- and headers are now
>   kept as long as udeb kernels exist for the same version?

The solution to this is easy. Like the ubuntu folk are doing, we should build
the kernel .udebs from the main kernel packages, and always keep them in sync
in the testing migration.

There are some minor technical hurdles to it, and a strong irrational
opposition to it though, so it is probably going to stay a problem.

>   2. The information about flavours used in udeb kernels is not
>   available in linux-headers. For normal flavours waldi's build

Sure it is, the whole linux-2.6/debian/arch, including config file sipplets
and stuff is exported in one of the linux-headers packages, and Bastian is
working on Makefile snipplets to automate its easy use in module packages.