Re: making udev require 2.6.15 kernels

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 11:07:02AM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Feb 11, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > As the install media are built our of main though, this is probably not going
> > to cut it without proof that it can be done on a technical point of view.
> It could be main or a subset of non-free or a new section, it's just a
> detail which I do not consider important.

well, as the installer packages (and thus the install media) are autobuilt in
main, i think this is the clue of the problem.

> > Why not simply have a non-free set of install media, and be done with it,
> > sounds like a much sanner proposal, without legal hurdle, just in need of
> > technical work.
> Because I am interested in improving Debian, not some non-free
> derivative.

So, what is the difference in having non-free firmware in the non-free section
of the debian archive, or having non-free firmware somewhere as of yet
undefined, and then magically added to the installation media, which would
then be held in the debian archive.

I think having a non-free set of installation media together with a free one
is by far the more promising solution, and the more honest as well, and on top
of that doesn't need a GR.