Re: Dark screen when booting debian-kernel 2.6.11

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:24 +0200, hmauchle@magnet.ch wrote:
> We are one step ahead: Setting COONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONFIG=n
> resulted in a bootable kernel.
> During bootup, my console is still dark and I can't see
> any messages. But X starts up and I can log in.
> If I switch then to any of my six consoles, fancy coloured patterns
> appear on the display.
 Yup, still a framebuffer problem. Check your .config for CONFIG_FB
and turn that to 'n' as well. Don't forget to remove/uncomment any
vga=... lines from your lilo, or the equivalent from your grub,
and run lilo if needed.

> I did a "grep -i conso /var/log/dmesg /var/log/kern.log /var/log/messages
> /var/log/syslog"
> The result is negativ: not one match.
 This is very bad. You should see something at least. CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE
must be set to 'y', and if you have CONFIG_AGP set, then be sure to
select the correct CONFIG_AGP_* option to 'y', and CONFIG_DRM is also
set (the correct CONFIG_DRM_* needed as well for your card).

> So it looks like a console problem and we can forget the SATA thing at
> the moment.
 Agree, if it boots up, your GUI works, then the system can find everything,
but your console.

> Next question would be: How to achieve a visible and usable console?
 Please do the .config changes through 'make menuconfig'.

> (The question after then will be: How to get my Broadcom network adapter
> running? It's currently running with the tg3 module. One of those
> that have been dropped out of the kernel.)
 I can not help with this. Maybe an other module provides the same
functionality?

Hope this helps,
Laszlo/GCS