Re: Dark screen when booting debian-kernel 2.6.11

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 19:02 +0200, hmauchle@magnet.ch wrote:
> Zitat von Laszlo Boszormenyi <gcs@lsc.hu>:
>
> I manually upgraded from the original Knoppix kernel
> to 2.6.10 (debian kernel), and now I'd like to use 2.6.11.
 Strange then your kernel version: 2.6.11hmu1. I can't recall
if Debian has hmu1 as subversion, but I think you used the
special subversion feature from the options.

> # grep CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE .config
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
> # grep CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE .config
> CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
 Please set CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE to n, build and retry
the boot. What happens then?

> No activities are heard.
 OK. Stupid thing then: if you press num-lock, then is the led switches
on-off?

> I have a Dell machine with Intel P4 530 with HT, PCI express
> ATI Radeon X300 SE and SATA-Disk, working fine under 2.6.10.
 Do you have any patch applied expect the official Debian flavour?
I had a bit similar problem with a sATA machine recently. The problem
was that IDE support was active, and the sATA disk was found as hda
instead of the previous sda name. So the system could not boot up.
It may happen with you as well, you just do not see the output
because there is an other problem with your framebuffer settings
as well, so it does not switch on correctly -> blanking happened.
So you do not actually see where the kernel really stops, so please
try unset CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE in the very first step.

> Attached is output of diff between config.2.6.10 and config.2.6.11(.config)
 I will check it deeply later. :( Just a favour to ask: please do it
with the 'u' switch of diff next time.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS