Re: Dark screen when booting debian-kernel 2.6.11

Zitat von Laszlo Boszormenyi <gcs@lsc.hu>:

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 23:25 +0200, Hubert wrote:
I called make oldconfig with my current .config-File.
 Did it work with older kernels then, or do you get that
.config from the Knoppix shipped ones?

I manually upgraded from the original Knoppix kernel
to 2.6.10 (debian kernel), and now I'd like to use 2.6.11.

After getting over the problem with qal2xxx, I got my
new kernel-image compiled and installed, but if I boot,
the screen blacks out.
Do you have CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE set to y? Also, maybe
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is set as well?

# grep CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE .config
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# grep CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE .config
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

I tried "make oldconfig" several times, and at the end I didn't accept any of
the new configuration items, but all I see after I choose
the new kernel at bootup are the three lines of lilo output and then
my screen gets dark. And stays dark.
 But is the system boot up? Do you see any hdd activities after the
blanking happened? Can you ping it from an other host?

No activities are heard.
I have a Dell machine with Intel P4 530 with HT, PCI express
ATI Radeon X300 SE and SATA-Disk, working fine under 2.6.10.

Which additional information should I provide?
 The above may help thickening down your problem.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS

Attached is output of diff between config.2.6.10 and config.2.6.11(.config)

Regards
Hubert
3,4c3,4
< # Linux kernel version: 2.6.10hmu8
< # Sat Mar 19 21:21:49 2005
---
> # Linux kernel version: 2.6.11hmu1
> # Mon Mar 28 12:35:27 2005
100a101
> CONFIG_GENERIC_CALIBRATE_DELAY=y
112a114
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL is not set
174a177
> # CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER is not set
186c189
< # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
---
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT is not set
226a230
> # CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS is not set
332a337
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_COW_COMMON is not set
354a360
> # CONFIG_ATA_OVER_ETH is not set
448a455
> # CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS is not set
469a477
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_QSTOR is not set
654d661
< CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL=y
671,672d677
< CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS=m
< CONFIG_IP_NF_COMPAT_IPFWADM=m
772d776
< CONFIG_TIGON3=m
864a869
> CONFIG_SERIO_LIBPS2=y
1031a1037
> # CONFIG_SENSORS_SMSC47B397 is not set
1161a1168
> # CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set
1174c1181
< CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
---
> CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=y
1209a1217,1218
> CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1X=y
> # CONFIG_SND_CA0106 is not set
1232a1242
> # CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX_MODEM is not set
1367a1378
> # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GARMIN is not set
1369,1370d1379
< # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_PDA is not set
< # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN is not set
1375a1385
> # CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_TI is not set
1383c1393
< # CONFIG_USB_TIGL is not set