Re: Sarge TODO items

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 09:20:43PM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > The idea is have to have a debian/patches/ dir that contains all
> > patches, similar to how many of the lots of little patches systems
> > work these days (CDBS? or the .dpatch stuff in the glibc packaging),
> > and the .diff.gz doesn't touch anything outside debian/.  Build
> > preparation applies these patches, as many as possible for all
> > architectures, and if needed conditionally.
>
> Then we have some debian-specific kernel tarball and a bunch of assorted
> patches, not an (as far as possible) unified source tree.

We have a pristine (well minus the parts considered non-free) + debian
build infrastructure + patchkit whereas the latter two are in the
.diff.gz.

> If that's the
> preferred form, then why do we need a version control system for it?

Because we

 a) want to allow multiple people to colaborate on it
 b) document past versions and changes

aka the usual reasons for a SCM.

> Furthermore, this scheme doesn't allow arch-specific kernel packages
> without duplicating the debian/patches/ dir.

Well, I was always arguing against the debian-specific kernel packages.
We can of course find a way to share the the patches via a kernel-patch
package required by all images, but this starts to get as messy as the
current situation real soon.