Re: OT: tinyurl and security [Was: Re: KDE 3.4 conflics with Gnome 2.10]

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 19:02, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Pierre Habouzit scripsit:
> >> Is there any way of installing Konqueror alongside with Gnome
> >> 2.10 without risking damaging gnome-menus?
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/8qkvj
>
> <OT>
> just a thought: is there anything to make tinyurl.com more secure? I
> mean, how do I know that this URL doesn't lead to some XXX site, which
> would instll tons of porn, take over my computer and send an obscene
> message to the pope Benedict XVI. in my name (of course, it wouldn't be
> that bad because Konqueror and Linux wouldn't allow it to be so wild, but
> I hope you get the idea)?
> </OT>

er, how do you know from any url wheter or not the site is about porn? the
url of a site quite often has no relation with the actual contents, I've
seen this in both directions:
- sites with innocent looking urls containing porn (e.g whitehouse.com
instead of .gov),
- sites with porny looking urls containg innocent stuff (e.g. the
xxx.lanl.gov site which publishes scientific papers)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)