Re: KDE startup hangs and 'commits suicide'

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 20:22, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Fabian Dortu]
> >> Maybe one can add
> >>
> >> ifup lo
> >>
> >> to the kde-startupscript. dcop seems to need the loopback interface.
> [...]
> >
> > It works ! Thanks a lot.
>
> If this is a fresh install, you have probably been bitten by the bug
> in the install system failing to configure the loopback interface.
>
> The correct fix is probably to add the following to
> /etc/network/interfaces:
>
>   # The loopback interface
>   auto lo
>   iface lo inet loopback
>
> It should have been added by the install program, but sometimes it
> failed to do so.  The bug is believed fixed in the latest source.

Thanks to all of you!!!
That was the problem with my machine as well. After correcting
the interfaces file everything is fine again.

Strange thing, as the KDE version before the update (2.2.1?) worked
without the loopback device. I guess, there will be some more users
with this problem ...

Bye, Steffen