Re: PR, artwork

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 06:32:43PM -0600, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> Hm...  I was thinking that if they would change anything, they'd change
> everything.

Well, wmaker gives you control over individual background colors, pixmaps,
gradients.  That is what makes the biggest visible change in the eyes of
my youngest children.  However, I haven't much in the way of themes on
their systems, and the ones that are there are pretty boring, so perhaps
if they had a choice of different eye-catching themes, they'd be trying
out other themes too.

> There are undoubtedly much "cooler" themes than mine.  I
> tried to make a nice looking default for those who wouldn't change
> (very young?).  However, I've never seen a child try to use a computer;
> I'm sure you are much better qualified than I am.

Well, I'm not going to argue one person's qualifications over another.
It's kind of hard to make a choice when only one alternative has been
presented so far. :)

> Also, if we want the webpage to match the theme, is this one ok or
> would different color scheme etc be more desirable?

Ah ... well, I think we are getting ahead of ourselves now.  We could try
out various themes, web-site mockups, whatever ... discuss it a little bit
and settle on something.  If we don't like it or get negative comments, we
can fix it up later.  No problem.  I'm not sure what would come across
best in either a theme or a web page until I have actually seen it (or at
least a mockup).

> Ok, I see your point.  But do you think we should ask other places
> (debian-news) to contribute potential logos, or do you think we should
> try to come up with someting internally?  Is a "logo contest" a good
> idea, or no?

Hm.  I've seen how messy choosing a logo can be.  But then we are a small
group still, so maybe it won't be so bad.  Yeah, I'd like to make a run at
coming up with something ourselves for starters.  If we get stuck, perhaps
we can ask whoever is in charge of Debian's PR (Nils Lohner maybe?) for
tips for a process.

Ben