Re: PR, artwork

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 02:53:44PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 08:27:36PM -0600, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been (well, I just started :) messing around with a primary color
> > > (red blue yellow) theme with larger fonts for windowmaker.
> >
> > http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~pmahoney/debian-jr/
>
> Not a bad start.  Of course the first thing that will change is the
> background color, as I don't think I've ever looked at the same color
> background on any two consecutive days on my daughter's desktop.  If you
> want to preserve the three-color scheme, the blue should be worked into
> the theme somewhere other than just the background.

Hm...  I was thinking that if they would change anything, they'd change
everything.  There are undoubtedly much "cooler" themes than mine.  I
tried to make a nice looking default for those who wouldn't change
(very young?).  However, I've never seen a child try to use a computer;
I'm sure you are much better qualified than I am.

Also, if we want the webpage to match the theme, is this one ok or
would different color scheme etc be more desirable?

> > [1]  I've got one idea in the making.  How about a toy block with three
> > sides showing.  The sides could have stuff like the swirl, the letters
> > J and R, maybe the words debian jr.  We'll see.  Perhaps the logo
> > should be language independent.
>
> Hm.  I'm not sure if I were a 10-year-old I would want my OS logo to be a
> toy block.  Something with broader appeal perhaps?  The swirl by itself
> looks a bit ... stuffy.  Maybe we could simply anthropomorphize the swirl
> and put it (him/her) into action?  rough sketch:

[snip]

Ok, I see your point.  But do you think we should ask other places
(debian-news) to contribute potential logos, or do you think we should
try to come up with someting internally?  Is a "logo contest" a good
idea, or no?

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for
reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
                -- Albert Einstein