Re: cofoja vs libcofoja-java

Hi Tony,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 09:09:51PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> >> So if there are Debian Java team members who have some preference why
> >> not recommending this in a policy document?  For people who are seldomly
> >> touching Java packages strict rules would be simply helpful.
> >
> > I guess there is a lack of consensus to turn this into a policy. That
> > sound like an excellent bikeshedding topic that could keep us busy
> > during the freeze :)
>
> My preference aligns with Emmanuel's - that is, use the upstream name
> for the source package, provided that it isn't so generic so as to be
> confusing or conflicting with other packages in the archive.
>
> However, I'm reluctant to suggest that we need a policy for this,
> because I don't want us to spend time renaming packages just so the
> source package names conform to an arbitrary policy.  (However,
> documenting a recommendation would be nice.)

+1

It is just to give uneducated Java packagers (like me) a helping hand
for best practices.  I would not start renaming existing packages.

> Having a policy for the
> library binary packages seems sufficient to catch most potential
> duplicates.  If you want to want package foo.jar, you can start by
> looking for an existing libfoo-java.
>
> In any event, it's great that DebianMed is lending a helping hand.
> Continue to let us know what could be done better, and don't be shy
> about asking for pkg-java commit rights/Java Team membership.

The point is that I feel quite incompetent with Java packaging.
However, we have some members in the Java team.  Regarding the Debian
Med Java packages:  Sometimes you need to decide where a package should
go to:  If the application fits the Debian Med team and the programming
language is just Java you have to make a decision.  In any case ACLs for
the Debian Med repository are set that any DD has commit permissions.

I have put several packages in Debian Java though "working for" Debian Med.
I usually go to Debian Java for Java libraries (even if med related), to get better support, later on, on JDK issues etc...

Olivier

In general we have never fight to keep a package in our repository
(there are similar cases for Perl, Python, Ruby etc.)  So if you
think we could enhance something - please let us know.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

--
gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438  (keyring.debian.org)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335  D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438