Re: cofoja vs libcofoja-java

Hi Tony,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 09:09:51PM -0700, tony mancill wrote:
> >> So if there are Debian Java team members who have some preference why
> >> not recommending this in a policy document?  For people who are seldomly
> >> touching Java packages strict rules would be simply helpful.
> >
> > I guess there is a lack of consensus to turn this into a policy. That
> > sound like an excellent bikeshedding topic that could keep us busy
> > during the freeze :)
>
> My preference aligns with Emmanuel's - that is, use the upstream name
> for the source package, provided that it isn't so generic so as to be
> confusing or conflicting with other packages in the archive.
>
> However, I'm reluctant to suggest that we need a policy for this,
> because I don't want us to spend time renaming packages just so the
> source package names conform to an arbitrary policy.  (However,
> documenting a recommendation would be nice.)

+1

It is just to give uneducated Java packagers (like me) a helping hand
for best practices.  I would not start renaming existing packages.

> Having a policy for the
> library binary packages seems sufficient to catch most potential
> duplicates.  If you want to want package foo.jar, you can start by
> looking for an existing libfoo-java.
>
> In any event, it's great that DebianMed is lending a helping hand.
> Continue to let us know what could be done better, and don't be shy
> about asking for pkg-java commit rights/Java Team membership.

The point is that I feel quite incompetent with Java packaging.
However, we have some members in the Java team.  Regarding the Debian
Med Java packages:  Sometimes you need to decide where a package should
go to:  If the application fits the Debian Med team and the programming
language is just Java you have to make a decision.  In any case ACLs for
the Debian Med repository are set that any DD has commit permissions.

In general we have never fight to keep a package in our repository
(there are similar cases for Perl, Python, Ruby etc.)  So if you
think we could enhance something - please let us know.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de