Re: gephi debian package

On 17/09/13 03:13, Rogério Brito wrote:
> Just a warning here: I am a novice in Java-land (I wrote a toy compiler in
> Java in 1998, but that sincerely doesn't count, as I can't remember a thing
> and the language changed a lot).
>
> That being said, I may, perhaps, spend some time with it, as many of the
> things that I want to see packaged depend on it.  :(

Packaging Java does not require you to be an expert at Java. But you do need to
be familiar with the Java packaging policies:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/

> With that being said, I just started learning about this maven thing and one
> of the first things that came to my eyes was that it downloads all the
> things that it needs (as described in the pom.xml file) from the network,
> which is obviously not acceptable for buildds.
>
> So, with that in mind, what are the recommended ways of building things that
> have the build-system based on maven in Debian?
>
> And what is the recommended/best-practices way of convincing maven to use a
> locally installed build-dependency (or a dependency) in a Debian system?

I haven't read it myself but:

https://wiki.debian.org/Java/Packaging

Maven
Use maven-debian-helper for standard Maven projects, use maven-repo-helper and
maven-ant-helper to fallback the build to Ant - usefull mostly for building a
library which is part of the Build-Depends of Maven itself.

You can also ask in #debian-java on irc.oftc.net

--
GPG: 4096R/1318EFAC5FBBDBCE
git://github.com/infinity0/pubkeys.git