Re: gephi debian package

Hi there.

On Sep 07 2013, Andrew Ross wrote:
> My intention was always to package Gephi under the banner of the Java
> team. Unfortunately the Netbeans platform is a dependency, and getting
> that in a good state (and keeping up with upstream releases) has been
> more challenging than I initially expected.

OK.

> When I started on this, the only Netbeans package was in non-free because
> it bundled jar files of its dependencies. I'm pretty much there on getting
> the latest Netbeans platform uploaded, although I do need some help with
> sponsering a few packages.

Can you please clarify some things to a non-connoisseur? Is netbeans a
(hard) build dependency for gephi? If it is, is it free now (or can it be
made free by substituting portions of it)?

> A further complication is that since I last had a working Gephi package,
> the Gephi build system was updated to use Maven. Getting the relevant
> plugins packaged will also be needed, so that we can properly build
> against the Netbeans platform. Failing that, we'll need to heavily patch
> the Gephi build system, which doesn't sound like much fun...
>
> Anyway, if others are keen to work on this then we should try and make a
> plan, but be prepared to get stuck in with Maven packaging.

Just a warning here: I am a novice in Java-land (I wrote a toy compiler in
Java in 1998, but that sincerely doesn't count, as I can't remember a thing
and the language changed a lot).

That being said, I may, perhaps, spend some time with it, as many of the
things that I want to see packaged depend on it.  :(

With that being said, I just started learning about this maven thing and one
of the first things that came to my eyes was that it downloads all the
things that it needs (as described in the pom.xml file) from the network,
which is obviously not acceptable for buildds.

So, with that in mind, what are the recommended ways of building things that
have the build-system based on maven in Debian?

And what is the recommended/best-practices way of convincing maven to use a
locally installed build-dependency (or a dependency) in a Debian system?

With answers to those questions, I may even try to take a look at one
trivial, hello-world-like java package and, perhaps, help with the java
packaging.

Thanks for directions,
Rogério.

P.S.: Feel free to drop the BTS system from the list of recipients, but,
please, keep me in the CC'ies, as I am not subscribed to debian-java.
--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://cynic.cc/blog/ : github.com/rbrito : profiles.google.com/rbrito