Re: icedtea status?

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:22:42AM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> 2008/1/7, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>:
> [...]
> > You know that even GCJ is not working on all our platforms?
>
> Yes I know and for those platforms, I don't see a problem moving the
> package to main because there were no alternative before icedtea.
>
> > Given that fact we have to move *all* Java packages to contrib.
> > Thats not really what we want.
>
> No, I don't want that and that's not what I'm trying to explain ;-)
>
> > > Anyway, Michael, thanks for working on Icedtea and I will not waste
> > > time to send bug reports on packages that moved to main but should
> > > IMHO remain in contrib.
> >
> > I understand, but do we really have other possible ways?
>
> Not moving packages that work only with icedtea to main at the moment.

I agree that we have to take care when moving from contrib to main and
that we have problems when some package in main works *only* with
icedtea. IMO it is a good policy to file bugs against not working runtimes
in this case so people know the problems and can work on them. Currently
thats not done because most people dont use/test packages from contrib.
E.g. Lucas' autobuilder only checks main (for good reasons). We loose
more then we win when stuff just stays in contrib. We need to actively
work on it.

Cheers,
Michael