Re: icedtea status?

2008/1/5, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org>:
> On Dec 29, 2007 6:04 PM, Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> > Icedtea/OpenJDK will only solve the move to main for x86 and x64
> > arches. There is a port from Gary Benson on PowerPC (only in
> > interpreter mode at the moment and it's barely usable for applications
> > like eclipse) but AFAIK Icedtea/OpenJDK will not run on other arches
> > (maybe it can run on sparc but I'm not sure).
>
> IMO main/contrib is a separate issue to portability. There are plenty
> of packages in main that only work on one architecture or a few of
> them.

Java apps are arch: all. How do you move "fop" (which is arch: all) to
main on x86 only? I think it'd be a problem. I can't imagine Debian to
distribute java package in main only for x86 and the same packages in
contrib for other arches!

> The powerpc work seems to be released now BTW:
>
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-January/000821.html

Maybe you did not read my mail:

> > [...] There is a port from Gary Benson on PowerPC (only in
> > interpreter mode at the moment and it's barely usable for applications
> > like eclipse) [...]

I already have this build on my PowerBook G4 and as I said, it's
barely usable. It works for a lot of things (but I haven't been able
to open a java class in the Eclipse editor) and it's very slow (fast
to start but then, it's very slow). It's because OpenJDK has no JIT at
the moment.

Arnaud Vandyck