Re: icedtea status?

2008/1/6, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>:

> There is no need to have them in contrib for other arches.  You seem
> to assume that packages in main need to work on all architectures.  As
> far as I know, there is no such requirement.  It only need to work on
> at least one.  The policy section 2.2.1 (the main category) reads:
>
>   Every package in main must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free
>   Software Guidelines).
>
>   In addition, the packages in main
>    - must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
>      execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
>      "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
>      package),

But on other arches, the package will require a package *outside* of main!

>    - must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
>    - must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.
>
> Nothing there require it to work on _all_ architectures.  Those on
> architectures where a package in main does not work yet, are free to
> port it to their architecture (as it is following DFSG), but there is
> no requirement for anyone to do it.

but they do work on arches that have a non-free jvm so they have to go
to contrib.

> I fail to see how it make a difference for users of architectures
> where a given package do not work if that package is available in main
> or contrib.  They still need to get extra software from somewhere,
> change their hardware, or port the software to their architecture.
> The location of the source or binary do not affect their options,
> while it do change the options for those architectures where the
> package in question do work.

libhibernate3-java works on powerpc with IBM's non-free jvm and is in
contrib. It'll work with Icedtea/OpenJDK. Will you put
libhibernate3-java in main?! That's the problem. You cannot say
libhibernate3-java is in main because on other arches then x86, it
needs software outside of main, so it must be in contrib!

--
Arnaud Vandyck