Re: maven2 for Debian

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 04:05:57PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> We are mixing concepts here ;-) (we should meet for real ;-))
>
> On 3/5/07, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> wrote:
> >On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:49:39PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> >> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> IMHO we should deal with it the same way as with any other software: the
> >> packager has to check if it will work with Debian's newer version, and if
> >> yes then we use it.
>
> I was not talking of the dependencies version problem for debian but
> for someone using maven in debian with a debian repository ;-) In
> Debian we don't have several version of the same lib (or we try to
> avoid it), but with maven, you can depend on a particular version. If
> we make a debian-maven repository, will we be able to take care of the
> old version of the libs?
>
> >Yes. I fully agree. And the local administrator is reponstible for the
> >software he/she downloads with Maven.
>
> The problem with maven is every user are responsible for
> downloading/installing software. Maybe that's not so important that I
> seem to think. Also, with Java, having a lot of same libs with
> different version and maybe different build is fine because it's
> 'corrected' with the classpath or informations in the MANIFEST.MF file

Maven cn download the software the users wants it to install and put it
into some repository. Upstream Maven does this currently by putting
everything into the users home directory. My idea would be to have a
system-wide repository where Maven can put its downloaded software.
This directory will be user writable. Perhaps only to users in some
special group. That should work out quite fine. But let us do the first
step first before we do the second before the first one.

Cheers,
Michael
--
 .''`.  | Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>