Re: maven2 for Debian

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:16:27PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> Hi Marcus,
>
> On 3/5/07, Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> wrote:
> >Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> >> As a user Maven should behave just like
> >> upstream Maven, meaning that it will download from the internet and
> >> install stuff under ~/.m2/repository.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> For the dpkg builder Maven should still behave like Maven *but* with
> >> some environmental changes it can comply with Debian's rules.
> >
> >This is a very important point, so let me spell it out even if it may be
> >obvious to you guys:
> >
> >We have two very different use cases for Maven in Debian:
> >
> >1. For users: Maven needs to function the same as upstream.
>
> But maybe with restrictions I already explained in another mail;
>
> >2. For building Debian packages: This needs to use Debian versions of
> >dependencies.
> >
> >It's important to remember which use case a particular feature is meant
> >for.
> >
> >> If there us a repository like you're suggesting under
> >> /usr/share/java/maven2/repository and Build-Depend on the other packages
> >> they will be included and Maven won't ever go out on the internet to
> >> fetch packages.
> >
> >How would this work? Having a build-dep will not install anything in the
> >Maven repository, as I guess Maven would expect, and certainly not binary
> >tarballs.
>
> I think the idea of Trygve was symlinks or something. We can also have
> a script to add every debian-java package installed in a xml file so
> that maven could know what is installed and where (and which version).

There are some possible ways. We just have to figure out what way we
want to go.

> >Another issue: Maven projects tend to specify exact version of their
> >dependencies. For building Debian packages, we need to get Maven to use
> >whatever version we have in Debian (and just make sure it's recent enough).
>
> Also, we try to have less possible different versions (we try to have
> the latest stable), but with Maven, you can work with older versions
> of a lib. Do we accept this?

What we learnt from the past that we dont always manage to do this. We
should cripple Maven so much that people used to it and switching to
Debian can work with it anymore because it behaves different.

Cheers,
Michael
--
 .''`.  | Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>