Re: maven2 for Debian

Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> As a user Maven should behave just like
> upstream Maven, meaning that it will download from the internet and
> install stuff under ~/.m2/repository.

[...]

> For the dpkg builder Maven should still behave like Maven *but* with
> some environmental changes it can comply with Debian's rules.

This is a very important point, so let me spell it out even if it may be
obvious to you guys:

We have two very different use cases for Maven in Debian:

1. For users: Maven needs to function the same as upstream.

2. For building Debian packages: This needs to use Debian versions of
dependencies.

It's important to remember which use case a particular feature is meant for.

> If there us a repository like you're suggesting under
> /usr/share/java/maven2/repository and Build-Depend on the other packages
> they will be included and Maven won't ever go out on the internet to
> fetch packages.

How would this work? Having a build-dep will not install anything in the
Maven repository, as I guess Maven would expect, and certainly not binary
tarballs.

Another issue: Maven projects tend to specify exact version of their
dependencies. For building Debian packages, we need to get Maven to use
whatever version we have in Debian (and just make sure it's recent enough).

Marcus