Re: maven2 for Debian

We are mixing concepts here ;-) (we should meet for real ;-))

On 3/5/07, Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 02:49:39PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
[...]
> > Also, we try to have less possible different versions (we try to have
> > the latest stable), but with Maven, you can work with older versions
> > of a lib. Do we accept this?
>
> IMHO we should deal with it the same way as with any other software: the
> packager has to check if it will work with Debian's newer version, and if
> yes then we use it.

I was not talking of the dependencies version problem for debian but
for someone using maven in debian with a debian repository ;-) In
Debian we don't have several version of the same lib (or we try to
avoid it), but with maven, you can depend on a particular version. If
we make a debian-maven repository, will we be able to take care of the
old version of the libs?

Yes. I fully agree. And the local administrator is reponstible for the
software he/she downloads with Maven.

The problem with maven is every user are responsible for
downloading/installing software. Maybe that's not so important that I
seem to think. Also, with Java, having a lot of same libs with
different version and maybe different build is fine because it's
'corrected' with the classpath or informations in the MANIFEST.MF file

--
Arnaud Vandyck