Re: newer jikes may never get to testing (and thus stable)

I don't see that putting the wrappers in the JVM package is a good
solution. It would be like libc6 having wrappers for a bunch of programs
that expect libc to be in some unusual location. Eventually Kaffe will
have dozens or hundreds of wrappers in its package and would, I guess,
depend on all of the things that it provides those scripts for.
Actually, I can't even make sense of how it would work. I'm sure I'm
just dense. Someone please explain the plan to me again.

I believe the proper solution is to more fully define the JAVA_HOME ad
hoc standard in terms of the Debian environment and then do whatever is
necessary to each VM to provide that standard environment. If Jikes just
expects the JVM to have bin/java and jre/lib/rt.jar then Kaffe should
already be there. This standard can be called debian-java or
debian-java-home or whatever and packages like Kaffe can provide it.
Since the J2SDK and J2RE packages currently provide this interface and
Kaffe mostly provides it I would think that this is the path of least
resistance.

Ean Schuessler                                      ean@brainfood.com
Brainfood, Inc.                              http://www.brainfood.com