Re: newer jikes may never get to testing (and thus stable)

--- "Grzegorz B. Prokopski" <gadek@debian.org> wrote:
> Package: jikes
> Version: 1.18-6
> Severity: wishlist
>
> Hi all!
>
> I used to be very busy/without net during last months but I am back.
> And attacking ;-)
>
> The problem is that currently jikes (in the sense of source package,
> which is important from testing migration scripts POV) depends of
> a whole pile of packages. Just take a look:
> http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=jikes
>
> The problem is that jikes privides wrappers which depend on every
> possible JVM in Debian. So for ex. if *ANY* of them won't make it
> into testing - we won't have jikes in testing and thus in stable! [0]
>
> Probably the proper fix for that would be that creation of wrappers
> should be only up to JVM/classpath maintainers and be done by them,
> probably in their JVM/classpath packages.

Wouldn't it be better to provide the wrappers as separate jikes-on-xyz
packages, that would depend on both jikes and the VM/classpath package? jikes
could depend on any one of the wrapper packages being installed, if that's
possible with debian's dependency system.

cheers,
dalibor topic