Re: newer jikes may never get to testing (and thus stable)

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 14:32, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> What you are missing is that Debian binary packages must stay in sync with
> their source package, which means that all of the packages that jikes builds
> are handled as a group for release purposes.
>
> If this is causing a problem, the obvious solution is to move the jikes-*
> packages into separate source packages to allow them to be handled
> separately from jikes itself.

Yup - it think it should be up to JVM maintainers to create those
wrappers either:
1. In their JVM binary package
2. As separate binary package built from JVM source package
3. As separate binary package built from *own* source package.

My favourite would be 1. or 2. but if one would belive that one day
jikes may not get into testing - then 3. would be the way to go.

I am not an expert here, but if there were sth. that would want to
build-depend on a jikes wrapper (it should probably be created
so that we could depend on some general jikes with classpath)
then we probably should go with 2 or 3.

After all - 2. was the way I thought of at the first glance.

Cheers,

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski