Re: failed building eclipse on powerpc

Jan,

Many thanks for your mail. Here is the result from last night (I build the Eclipse package during the night ;-) ):
[...]
dpkg-deb: building package `eclipse-javac' in `../eclipse-javac_2.1-4_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package `eclipse-jdt' in `../eclipse-jdt_2.1-4_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package `eclipse-pde' in `../eclipse-pde_2.1-4_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb: building package `eclipse-source' in `../eclipse-source_2.1-4_all.deb'.
dh_testdir -a
dh_testroot -a
dh_installdocs -a
dh_installexamples -a
dh_installmenu -a
dh_installchangelogs  -a
dh_strip -a
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
strip: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!
dh_link -a
dh_compress -a
dh_fixperms -a
dh_makeshlibs -a
dh_installdeb -a
dh_shlibdeps -a
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on `debian/libswt-java/usr/lib/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.swt.gtk_2.1.0/os/linux/x86/libswt-gnome-gtk-2133.so' gave error exit status 1
dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
make: *** [binary-arch] Erreur 1

I read your explanations and I agree with you: ask the swt ML to have a more generic makefile! :-p

I think the library is important to link the java part (swt) and the native part (gtk, motif).

Congratulations for applying as NM, so am I ;-)

Jan Schulz wrote:
* Arnaud Vandyck <arnaud.vandyck@ulg.ac.be> wrote:

Yes it is! I've got the additional icon.xpm in source-tree

Strange... Anyway, as this copying was the only thing what the
ant-task was usefull for, this is now done in debian/rules...

No! j2sdk from blackdown (1.3)... I'm reinstalling the blackdown package. If the jni.h does not change, I'll look for one in the j2se directory.

I had a look in the makefile of that thing. It's a complete mess...
It seems that this makefile is 'out of the box' only usefull on the
maschine, where the eclipse drops are build...

Have a look into source-tree/plugins/org.eclipse.swt/Eclipse\ SWT\
PI/gtk/library/make_gtk.mak and point the varaiales to the right
directories. This worked on my maschine. I will have a look how to
make this generic (no configure included...)
IVE_HOME   = /usr/lib/j2se/1.4
JAVA_JNI=$(IVE_HOME)/include
JAVAH=$(IVE_HOME)/bin/javah
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$(IVE_HOME)/bin
GTKLIBS = `pkg-config --libs $(GTKTARGET)`

Now it compiles, but I get an error from ld:
ld -o libswt-gnome-gtk-2133.so gnome.o  -x \
     -shared `pkg-config --libs gnome-vfs-2.0`
ld: unrecognized option '-pthread'
ld: use the --help option for usage information
make[1]: *** [libswt-gnome-gtk-2133.so] Error 1

I've googled a bit, but haven't found anything. I will ask some
questions in debian-mentor and on the swt ML and if I can't solve this problem in the next days, I will remove this lib (I actually have no idea, what this lib is for... IMO, SWT only consist of swt and swt-pi libs...)

Does anybod yhave some ideas about this error?

So I did symlinks the *.h and linux/*.h files from /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/include/... I'll recompile the whole package one more :-p

If you only want to do the native builds, call
fakeroot debain/rules clean
fakeroot debian/rules uncompress
fakeroot debian/rules build-native-stamp

This will remove any previous files, uncompress all source and then
only build the native parts. You can then call build-native-stamp
again... If you want to make some more testing, edit
debian/build-native.sh so that the content isn't deleted inbetween
(you need either put the different builds in different dirs (tmp1,
tmp2...) or put a 'exit 0' just in front of the rm (only when
testing a special section))

;-) I'll be waiting! First, I'm trying to rebuild the package with the right .h files in /usr/include

No need for that. Point the variables to the right place and it
should work... Should, but isn't yet working :( I will keep you
posted on this.

I'm not really sure about this stuff... Upstram doesn't include
linux/ppc in there platform list, so basicly, you are the first to
test it...

I'm not sure :-p, there is a bug fill by another ppc user :-D

Yes, ok :) But you'r the first who reports back afterwards :)

I thought the source maintainer of Eclipse was Takashi Okamoto <tora@debian.org>?

He will sponsor me until I'm Debian devloper. The next build will
come from me.

Jan

                ~~
Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html

For ascii arts, see http://www.schnoggo.com/figlet.html