Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)

Hi, Kenneth!

From: Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@skyjammer.com>
Subject: Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:58:44 -0600

> > (3)Build-Depends field is incomplete. At least, it's depend on JDK.
> >    What JVM and compiler do you use? If you can, I recommend use jikes
> >    and kaffe. They are free java compiler and runtime. You can also
> >    use gcj to compile Java source.
>
> I have changed Build-Depends to this:
>
>    Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 3.0.0), gcc, jikes, j2sdk1.3

- You don't have to write gcc here. It's build-essential package.
  (Sorry, I missed this point at previous mail.)
  (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/build-essential)

- You don't need to use jikes when you must use j2sdk1.3. I use jikes
  and kaffe when I want to remove dependency for non-free software.
  But it's no problem.

- You wrote 'devel' for section in control file. I think NBIO is
  library. 'libs' may be better than 'devel' for section)

- The software which depend on non-free software should go to contrib
  section (write contrib/devel (or contrib/libs) at control file).

- Upstream directory name seems nbio-1.4. You can build source package
  like nbio_1.4-1.orig.tar.gz. I recommend you to use upstream name.

- In generally, source package provide complete upstream file
  (*.orig.tar.gz) and diff file (*.diff.gz). Why don't you provide
  complete upstream file? Do you know dh_make which help making debian
  pacakge? If you don't know it, please try it.

- build_instructions.txt said:

   If you want to move to a different upstream release:

   o change the tarball in the upstream directory
   o add to debian/changelog (use 'dch -i')
   o update debian/make-debian.sh to point to the correct new
     tarball and directory (change $NBIO_TARBALL and $NBIO_SRC_DIR)

  But do you know uupdate?

- Debian specific files(only build_instructions.txt?) should be in
  debian/ directory.

> Is it even allowable for an "official" Debian package to have a build
> dependency on a package (i.e. the Blackdown one) that's not a part of
> Debian?

Your package seems almost OK. Good job:)

But "official" means go to main section. nbio depend on non-free
software(j2sdk1.3) and it can't be gone to main. So it will be in
contrib section.

Could you try again?

regards,
----