Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)

From: Kenneth Pronovici <pronovic@skyjammer.com>
Subject: Re: NBIO (Non-blocking I/O)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:38:18 -0600

> > I find myself with a need for the NBIO package from:
> >
> >    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/java-nbio/
> >
> > which implements non-blocking socket I/O.  It's sort of a precursor to
> > the nbio functionality that's in the Java 1.4 beta, implemented on top
> > of standard socket calls like poll().
>
> I have completed packaging this as a deb.  You can find it at:
>
>    ftp://cedar-solutions.com/debian/testing/java/
>    http://www.cedar-solutions.com:70/ft/debian/testing/java/

Great:)

I have a few comment about your package.

(1)Do you know 'lintian'?  If not, please try it with following
   command:

   $ lintian -vi lib-nbio-java_1.4_i386.changes

   Please try remove all error messages and warnings.

(2)Java package name is libXXX-java.

   @see http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/policy-libraries.html

   Would you change the package name to libnbio-java?

(3)Build-Depends field is incomplete. At least, it's depend on JDK.
   What JVM and compiler do you use? If you can, I recommend use jikes
   and kaffe. They are free java compiler and runtime. You can also
   use gcj to compile Java source.

> I am not a "real" developer, so I can't upload this.  If someone thinks
> it's useful enough (and of high-enough quality) and would be able
> to sponsor me (I guess that's how it works?), I would be willing to
> maintain the package long-term.  Otherwise, I'll keep it up-to-date
> at the URLs above.

Good, I can sponsor you if you would build enough quality package;)

thanks,
----
Takashi Okamoto