Re: Quitting debian-java

Alan KF LAU <akflau@itsd.gcn.gov.hk> writes:

> Just for everybody's information. kaffe is in fact developed under a contract to Microsoft, please see http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,20225,00.html

This quite misleading.  As far as I know, the Microsoft contract
referred to has only funded a very small part of Kaffe.  (I have had
contact with Tim Wilkinson and Kaffe since before there was a
Transvirtual, and in fact was involved in some early of funding of
Kaffe, when I worked at Cygnus .)

> Also one of the very annoying thing in kaffe bother me much is that it has not implemented java.security. It is a mistake or an intention to make Java insecure?
> See http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/kaffe/security?user=guest;addsignature=1
>
> How could one build a serious application without java.security?

You are being deliberately provocative.  Of course one can build a
serious application without java.security.  One can even build a
secure application without it, though java.security gives you better
control.  A compiler, a word-processor, an editor, or any single-user
application should not to deal with security concerns.
--
	--Per Bothner