Re: Japanese input

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:20:57PM -0500, Eric P wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

> >>For Gnome there is uim-applet-gnome, and for KDE there is uim-kdehelper.

> > There's also a tray version, the name of which escapes me, if you're using
> > neither KDE nor Gnome. uim-<tab><tab> is how I find them under bash. ^_^

> I think I'll hang w/UIM.  It'll be good to try something new.  I do have
> uim-applet-gnome installed, but I'm not sure if it's doing its thing.
> Here's what I see:
> http://epierce.freeshell.org/misc/uim.png

> I tried running 'uim-toolbar-gtk-systray' from the command line, but I
> don't see anything happening (i.e., something in the tray, etc.).  It'd
> be nice to get some indication (somewhere) that I've entered Japanese
> input mode.

> Here's all the UIM friends that I have available.
> uim-candwin-gtk          uim-helper-server        uim-toolbar-gtk
> uim-dict-gtk             uim-im-switcher-gtk      uim-toolbar-gtk-systray
> uim-fep                  uim-pref-gtk             uim-xim
> uim-fep-tick             uim-sh

The only one I've played with is uim-toolbar-gtk, and that was a while
ago. It _used_ to have a problem where when it first started, it would
show '?' until you changed modes. I presume that's fixed now, but I couldn't
say for sure.

If you're working in terminals, you could try uim-fep instead. It takes the
bottom line of the terminal for status display and candiate lists, kinda like
NJStar Japanese Word Processor does, but both cooler and for terminals not just
a work processor. ^_^ I however, couldn't convince uim-fep to recognise my
remapped-to-ZenkakuHankaku-Super_R key, so gave up on it once I had uim-xim
working.

If you really like the SCIM toolbar, there's a uim-scim bridge so you can use
SCIM for the X interface, but uim's backends. (Prime rocks, for reference. ^_^)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.