Re: Japanese input

Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:16:08AM +0100, Daniel Palmer wrote:
>

>>>I tried getting SCIM working w/o luck though.  I've never used UIM
>>>before.  It seems to work fine, but I wish it had some kind of
>>>notification when I've entered Japanese input mode.  Am I missing
>>>something?  SCIM has a nice bar that shows up as soon as you Shift-space.
>

>>For Gnome there is uim-applet-gnome, and for KDE there is uim-kdehelper.
>

> There's also a tray version, the name of which escapes me, if you're using
> neither KDE nor Gnome. uim-<tab><tab> is how I find them under bash. ^_^

I think I'll hang w/UIM.  It'll be good to try something new.  I do have
uim-applet-gnome installed, but I'm not sure if it's doing its thing.
Here's what I see:
http://epierce.freeshell.org/misc/uim.png

I tried running 'uim-toolbar-gtk-systray' from the command line, but I
don't see anything happening (i.e., something in the tray, etc.).  It'd
be nice to get some indication (somewhere) that I've entered Japanese
input mode.

Here's all the UIM friends that I have available.
uim-candwin-gtk          uim-helper-server        uim-toolbar-gtk
uim-dict-gtk             uim-im-switcher-gtk      uim-toolbar-gtk-systray
uim-fep                  uim-pref-gtk             uim-xim
uim-fep-tick             uim-sh

Thanks for reading.  Any advice is much obliged.
Eric P