Re: Japanese input

Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:24:22AM +0100, Daniel Palmer wrote:
>
>>>This installed Canna (which correctly starts up as a service on boot).
>>>Also, Kinput (kinput2-canna-wnn) and Freewnn-jserver (not sure what this
>>>does) were installed.
>

>>Use Anthy + UIM or SCIM for the best experience.
>

>>The easiest solution to get it all running on login is to make a .xsession
>>file in your home, then insert bits you want in there. Mine looks like this:
>

>>export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
>>export XMODIFIERS=@im=uim
>>export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim
>>uim-xim&
>>startkde
>

> Current uim-xim supports --engine command-line parameter, so you don't
> have to chance your LC_CTYPE if you don't wish to.

Yep.  I got everything working as per Daniel's suggestion but had to
leave out the LC_CTYPE variable (otherwise everything was in English and
I couldn't enter Japanese input mode).

I tried getting SCIM working w/o luck though.  I've never used UIM
before.  It seems to work fine, but I wish it had some kind of
notification when I've entered Japanese input mode.  Am I missing
something?  SCIM has a nice bar that shows up as soon as you Shift-space.

Eric P