Re: [Debian Woody 3.0r2] Direct japanese text/mozilla printing will fail

David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> writes:

>> David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> writes:
>>> BTW after removing woody's non-free font packages, printing of
>>> japanese doesn't work for me any more (at least not by for e2ps).
>>> There are however still free japanese fonts installed (wadalab and
>>> vflib fonts).  Does anybody know how I can configure gs to use those
>>> fonts instead?
>
>> Looks like you also zapped the gs-cjk-resource pacakage and quite
>> possibly your cmap-adobe-japan* packages as well.  These are all
>> non-free but required in order to print Japanese :-(
>
> If I remember correctly, that excactly were the packages that I removed.
> I'm involved with some project, where I want to be sure that no non-free
> data find their way into our printed work.

Laudable goal :-)

> Using jlatex and dvi2ps (_not_ dvips), I get nice looking japanese
> PostScript with embedded vector-fonts (maybe the wadalab-font packages,
> maybe vflib fonts?).  If dvi2ps gets that done, shouldn't other software
> as well?

IIRC, latex always stuffed font metric data into the dvi files.
That's what those *.tfm files are for, I believe.  If the font data
are already in the dvi file, dvi2ps has no problem dumping the font
data in the postscript files.

Other software doesn't use the dvi files, so they would have to do
their own thing.  Right now, that requires certain non-free packages.

> [snip]  One advantage of
> bdf-fonts in postscript is also, that it prints really fast on
> postscript printers (where dvi2ps-created documents could take a minute
> per page).

Because it has to send a truckload of font data to the printer.
Normally, with Japanese postscript printers the font data resides on
the printer, so you wouldn't have to send the data.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, PF1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/