Re: [Debian Woody 3.0r2] Direct japanese text/mozilla printing will fail

> David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> writes:
>> BTW after removing woody's non-free font packages, printing of
>> japanese doesn't work for me any more (at least not by for e2ps).
>> There are however still free japanese fonts installed (wadalab and
>> vflib fonts).  Does anybody know how I can configure gs to use those
>> fonts instead?

> Looks like you also zapped the gs-cjk-resource pacakage and quite
> possibly your cmap-adobe-japan* packages as well.  These are all
> non-free but required in order to print Japanese :-(

If I remember correctly, that excactly were the packages that I removed.
I'm involved with some project, where I want to be sure that no non-free
data find their way into our printed work.

Using jlatex and dvi2ps (_not_ dvips), I get nice looking japanese
PostScript with embedded vector-fonts (maybe the wadalab-font packages,
maybe vflib fonts?).  If dvi2ps gets that done, shouldn't other software
as well?

For text printing I use emacs' ps-print configured to use bdf-fonts for
japanese (not very nice-looking, however).  After looking at ps-print's
sources I think there must be some way to make it use vflib fonts.
Anybody tried that?  Also it seems that ps-print uses low-resolution
bdf-fonts, while there are high-resolution bdf-fonts available (48x48)
in intlfonts/Japanese-BIG.  This should look nice, if configured
properly.  Anybody with a working configuration?  One advantage of
bdf-fonts in postscript is also, that it prints really fast on
postscript printers (where dvi2ps-created documents could take a minute
per page).

David