SOLVED Re: Suggestions wanted for

Joe Emenaker wrote:
Ward Vandewege wrote:
So for what it's worth, the Sil3114 is *not* trash. Sure, it's not the
greatest sata controller in the world (the 3124 is considerably better, for
instance), but it does it's job.
To add yet another data point, take a look at this thread in the kernel devel list where they're discussing how to work around the sil3114's quirks.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.2/1821.html

I'd like to draw special attention to the part where he says " Silicon Image 311x is fully SATA compliant -- but it's the only controller that sends odd-sized packets to the SATA device. That causes no end of problems...".
So, I got my Promise SATA 300 TX4 in the mail on Friday. I installed it and all of the problems vanished. I was able to run my torture-test script (which constantly creates, copies, and deletes 200MB files...) on the RAID5 array (using 3 of the SATA ports) and a solitary drive on the 4th SATA port all at the same time. I left them running for a few hours, with no data corruption.

Previously, with the Silicon Image 3114 card, I'd get corruption within about 1 minute.

To recap the steps I took:

- Torture-tested a PATA drive while torturing the SATA's, and the SATA's got corrupted and the PATA was fine. - Changed from a 230W power supply to a 380W Antec, and the SATA problem persisted.
(At this point, I was fairly convinced that it wasn't a power-supply issue)
- Tried an identical SYBA Sil3114-based card, and the problem persisted
- Tried an Addonics Sil3114-based card, and the problem persisted.
- Tried a Promise SATA card (the first one I tried that wasn't based upon a Sil3114) and the problem vanished.

My personal conclusion is that there is either something wrong with the 3114's or with the Linux driver for it (since I've not *noticed* any corruption problems with a Windows machine using a Sil3114). Whatever the reason, I'm going to steer clear of Sil3114-based cards from now on. The rest of you are free to do as you wish, of course.

- Joe