Re: Suggestions wanted for

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 02:03:00AM -0800, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> Craig Sanders wrote:
> >i know that Nvidia chipset SATA controllers ("nv" driver) and Maxtor
> >drives don't get along.
> Well, I'm having trouble with both the 3 WD's in the raid and a
> standalone Seagate, so I'm suspecting the adaptor. Furthermore, I found
> this guy (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331190) who's having
> what looks to be the exact same problem with a mirrored pair of drives,
> using the same adaptor, as SYBA SD-SATA-4P. I've actually tried two of
> these cards and they both do this... so they are prime candidates for
> the trash at this point.
>
> I brought home an Addonics ADST114 from work and just tried it. Same
> problem as the SYBA. So I'm suspecting that it's either the Sil3114 or
> the linux driver for it.

Just to provide another datapoint - I've got quite a few Dapper machines with
a Sil3114 SATA controller + software raid-1 out there. They typically run a
Xen kernel, but I have no problems like the ones you describe.

So for what it's worth, the Sil3114 is *not* trash. Sure, it's not the
greatest sata controller in the world (the 3124 is considerably better, for
instance), but it does it's job.

If you suspect drivers, have you tried a stock (i.e. kernel.org) kernel?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be         -(  "I love the way Microsoft follows standards.  In much  )-
Virtual hosting -(  the same manner that fish follow migrating caribou."   )-