Re: Best file system

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 21:57 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:27:31AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> [2006.02.02.1107 +0100]:
> > > for tmpfs, i use tmpfs :)
> >
> > /me pretends nothing ever happened.
>
> /me looks the other way
>

> btw, i remembered the other reason for using ext2 for /boot - GRUB is
> happier with ext2. booting reliably no matter what version of kernel or
> grub is installed is pretty important :)

IMHO grub makes a big mistake by trying to be FS aware; a boot loader
should be a boot loader, not it's own damn mini OS with support for all
filesystems... next thing they will be giving it its own initrd for
dynamically loading extra fs modules :-)

I use LILO... it just loads stuff off the disk and runs it. I can use
whatever FS I like and it just works.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/