Re: Best file system

annpost@can.no said on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:59:43PM +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
> the best file system would be?

It really depends on what you're doing.

> I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
> make the call myself.
>
> So, any suggestions?

Actually, yes!  If your server has a UPS, and will automatically do a
clean shutdown on power failure, then you should try ReiserFS, XFS, and
ext3 under the workload you're expecting.  If you don't _know_ what your
workload is, then try using bonnie++ to get an idea of the performance
characteristics of your filesystem and disk IO subsystem.

If you server is _not_ going to have a UPS, then you're pretty much
stuck with ext3, for the reasons detailed here:

http://cryptio.net/~ferlatte/blog/2005/10/09#filesystems_back_to_ext3

You should still benchmark, though, if you care about performance; there
are quite a few IO tuning parameters that can have positive effects on
system performance (for example, changing the IO scheduler can affect
database hosts positively).

If you don't care about performance enough to benchmark, then I'd say go
with ext3: it's the default and is well tested.