Re: Best file system

i think really depens on what is your aim.

depending on sizes of files you store in the logical filesystem, ext3 has 3 alternatives: standard, largefile, verylarge. so that it uses inodes table optimal which will affect the iosystem to reach indexes/fileinfo and access file in physical rapidly.

there is another option you can choose is reisefs (my fav) if you are planning that file system is used for web (/var/www or /usr/local/apache/httpdocs). reiserfs is very good at that kind of jobs. i warn you about it`s higher risks to get corrupt compared to ext3.

if your data is highly critical (/var/backup) or mostly static ( /boot ), ext2 will be the best one that fits your needs.

Mustafa Kutsal Ay
master@iplikci.com
sysAdmin @ kanal7
Office: 212 612 9090 3220
GSM : 532 676 9778 | 555 448 1213
system admin, software engineer, radiesthesist
weblog: www.iplikci.com/musti

annpost@can.no said on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:59:43PM +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a new postfix server with SATA RAID. And I wonder what
> the best file system would be?

It really depends on what you're doing.

> I've had so many recommendations, and I'm not experienced enough to
> make the call myself.
>
> So, any suggestions?

Actually, yes!  If your server has a UPS, and will automatically do a
clean shutdown on power failure, then you should try ReiserFS, XFS, and
ext3 under the workload you're expecting.  If you don't _know_ what your
workload is, then try using bonnie++ to get an idea of the performance
characteristics of your filesystem and disk IO subsystem.

If you server is _not_ going to have a UPS, then you're pretty much
stuck with ext3, for the reasons detailed here:

http://cryptio.net/~ferlatte/blog/2005/10/09#filesystems_back_to_ext3

You should still benchmark, though, if you care about performance; there
are quite a few IO tuning parameters that can have positive effects on
system performance (for example, changing the IO scheduler can affect
database hosts positively).

If you don't care about performance enough to benchmark, then I'd say go
with ext3: it's the default and is well tested.