Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network? [SCANNED]

On 6/22/04 4:37 AM, "Niccolo Rigacci" wrote:

> You have to explain to me why you are blocking their mails.
>
> You also have to explain to me why do you want to force them to
> use a smart host for their outgoing mails.
>
> They have purchased bare adsl connectivity, why do you want force
> them to purchase also smtp service from an ISP?
>
> You are following an unexistant cause-effect link and you are
> wasting your time. For a virus writer it is a metter of an hour
> to change his code to post to the isp's smtp server instead of
> posting directly. Now you have an huge infrastructure (dynaddr
> lists) perfectly useless that do big harm to the network.

I can see his frustration with the "dynamic" range, as we also are pondering
additional steps to stop the constant flood of virus infected machines that
then flood our networks here with emails.

Maybe if more ISP's would take a proactive approach and monitor or filter
their networks when they see large floods originating from themselves we
wouldn't be having this discussion.

My weak 2$
--
David Thurman