Re: Which Spam Block List to use for a network?

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 09:11, Russell Coker wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:13, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
>> reject other dyn/dialups - they should use their own ISP or mail
>> server.
>
> I second this.
>
> A user has no business making direct connections to mail servers.

Maybe in your area you can get a residential ISP whose mailrouters are
always reliable.  Where I live there is one cable modem provider with
no competition; its mailrouters usually work but do not always warn you
in good time that mail is queued.  With my own MTA I can tell right
away whether mail has been delivered or not -- except when I'm forced
to "dumbhost" my mail through my ISP's mailrouter.

> One thing on my todo list is to use the ODF module of NetFilter to
> prevent
> Windows users from connecting to my mail servers when they get
> viruses.  No dial-up list is complete so there are always some Windows
> users who are
> accidentally allowed to connect.  The URL is below:

This is a smarter way to do it.  Wouldn't you admit that the problem is
not from MTAs on dynamic IP addresses, but rather from infected Windows
machines on dynamic IP addresses?

-- Adam