Re: LSB and Debian, Commercial perspective

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:15:07AM -0700, brian moore wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 07:07:31PM +1000, Jason Lim wrote:
> > officially support Debian. From a commercial perspective, what happens if
> > your tech support department calls up the vendor asking for some
> > assistance, and as soon as you tell them you're running Debian, they go
> > all quiet?
> -What- vendor?

example 1:

Recently I asked Oracle for Debian support since a prospective client
was considering Debian as their platform. Oracle said: "We don't support
you even if you buy support from us. We only support RedHat Advanced
Server for political reasons after SuSE came too close to IBM." (not
exactly this wording, but exactly this meaning).

example 2:

Recently I needed to buy a virus scanner for a client who wants
to have their emails scanned on a server (ok, semi-dumb idea, but
hey, it's their call). TrendMicro has some RedHat and SuSE packages,
but no Debian packages (ok, I run it on *BSD anyway). They also
wanted me to stop running their programs in a way that's useful
to me, but instead use their GUI and proprietary proxy stuff,
telling me that vscan is unsupported anyway. (has hard-coded paths
and other niceties, too).

> (And, yep, RMS would be proud of my servers. :))

That's nice for you...

Best,
--Toni++