Re: LSB and Debian, Commercial perspective

I had to install IBM db2 on a debian system. I got it to work, but when the upstairs people saw my howto to reinstall in case of failure, they decided to do it with suse.

Problem was: the install script was using rpm heavily. Think of it as a series of
1. Ask a question, 2. Unpack an rpm, 3. Modify a config file.
Running the script on debian failed since the script checked the rpm dependencies before unpacking (and since most software is not marked installed in the rpm database, it failed).

I used alien to convert all rpms into debs then, using an option to have the rpm-internal install scripts when installing. I had to install them in the right order and running stuff like adduser and addgroup, some untarring and some directory moving inbetween. I found the correct install path _by looking at the log of a suse install_. I can fully understand tech support getting scared of finding problems if this is the only solution.

The suse box running db2 is behind the firewall and is a pain to keep updated.

As long as install scripts need to be rewritten for debian you can forget commercial support. Until debian is as big as redhat.