Re: LSB and Debian, Commercial perspective

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:37:00AM -0700, C. R. Oldham wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 07:07:31PM +1000, Jason Lim wrote:
> > > Well, I think you'd be in the minority of you don't care if vendors
> > > officially support Debian. From a commercial perspective,
> > what happens
> > > if your tech support department calls up the vendor asking for some
> > > assistance, and as soon as you tell them you're running
> > Debian, they
> > > go all quiet?
> >
> > -What- vendor?
> >
> > (And, yep, RMS would be proud of my servers. :))
>
> Well, some of us do need Oracle for business reasons.  And while I'm an
> opensource advocate and choose opensource technology whenever it makes
> sense, Oracle is a darned good database, with fairly good support. (if
> you can afford it)
>
> Now, back on topic, I'm pretty sure that Oracle's unspoken policy is
> that if you have Oracle on Debian (a non-certified platform according to
> them) your support contract is still good up to a point.  As soon as you
> run into anything that might be distribution-related Oracle Support will
> bill you T&M to resolve the issue.

Oracle makes an interesting example.  The problems I ran into installing
oracle on debian were related to that goddamn !@#$ installer and the
stub libs required for post (re)linking (version 8.something).

IMCO an rpm would be way better than that installer.  I'm not sure that
a bastard installer constitutes "LSB support"; seems to me it just made life
hard.  YMMV, my experience is a year or so out of date.

DB2, OTOH, rpm -> alien -> deb and it just worked on our "unsupported"
platform.