Re: mail-config?

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 12:12:43AM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
> abo@minkirri.apana.org.au (Donovan Baarda) writes:
>
> > Though I use uw-imapd instead of Courier. The general consensus is Courier
> > is better, but I went with uw-imapd because it was "lighter", and I had
> > legacy non-Maildir mailboxes.
> >
> > Courier is nearly 1MB installed including ssl and support packages, compared
> > to 350K for uw-imapd-ssl. Courier uses a seperate authdaemon and
> > serverdaemon, whereas uw-imapd uses the normal inetd. Courier looked like
> > overkill for my system.
>
> But how big are UW's c-client library files?  I'm pretty sure that,
> including the protocol libraries, uw-imap ends up being larger than
> courier.

I was using the installed sizes as reported for the packages. In the case of
uw-imapd, there were no dependancies that were not already installed on my
system so I did not include them; libc-client-ssl2001, libc6, libpam0g,
libssl0.9.6, openssl.

For courier-imap-ssl, there were several packages that I would have to
install just for courier support so these were included; courier-imap,
courier-ssl, courier-base, courier-authdaemon. If you follow all the
dependancies, courier-imap-ssl includes all the dependancies of uw-imapd
except libc-client-ssl2001, which is 913kB...

Hmm, looks like you are right... the only things on my system using
libc-client-ssl2001 is uw-imapd-ssl and ipopd-ssl. If you look at a
combined courier-pop-ssl+courier-imap-ssl vs ipopd-ssl+uw-imapd-ssl, they
come out pretty much the same, with courier perhaps being slightly in front.

However, I still feel a little uneasy about running a seperate authdaemon
and serverdaemon just for pop/imap.

ABO: finger abo@minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key